Education licensing exemption in states where military students are assigned

Service members may lose substantial academic credit if they are transferred to states where there is no agreement allowing them to continue their distance education courses from an out-of-state institution.

Service members move approximately every two to three years and may be assigned in states where their schools are not licensed.

The four regional higher education compacts — Midwestern Higher Education Compact, New England Board of Higher Education, Southern Regional Education Board and Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education — collectively sign institutions to agreements within each respective region.

Forty states either do not require enabling legislation or have not passed bills to establish legal authority to join NC-SARA.

Best Practices

Best practices are currently in development for education licensing exemption in states where military students are assigned.

Skip to Accessible Content
Click on the map to view each state's issue status below.

Issue Status Key

The composite rating for this issue is based on the following criteria:

  • Star
    Bill introduced and currently active
  • Blue square
    State has made movement towards achieving desired outcomes; for example, entered into a reciprocal agreement to allow service member students to continue distance education courses in the state in which they are assigned, even when their education institution is not licensed in that state.
  • Yellow square
    State has not made changes that move towards achieving desired outcomes.